Being at home more the past while has likely changed the way many of us have looked at food and meals. With more time it became easier to do those things we may have wanted to try.
The more we can make and create and connect with the food we eat, the better we can support our health and enjoyment of food.
For me, I finally made mayonnaise. It had been on my “to do” list for years to try. I had heard it was tricky, so I put it off. But, one day, having no mayo, but all the ingredients for it, we gave it a shot.
Oh my goodness! I am so glad we did! It was so simple and so much better tasting!!
I have found a number of mayo recipes, but my favourite was a Whole 30 recipe, which you can search online for another option as well, but I will post the one I used below.
The trick is to very slowly add the olive oil. I use a 1 litre mason jar, and an immersion blender, add only 1/4c of the oil, then slowly pour in the rest of the oil, and in 4 minutes you have real mayo!!! With ingredients that are whole and healthy.
With that, we also made our own aioli, as well as ranch dressing - al Whole30 recipes. Again, all tasted truly amazing and were so simple. I wish I would have made it sooner, so I am sharing that with you in hopes that you give it a try and love it as well.
Next up for us to make is homemade yogurt.
Quality Greens is a wonderful place to find your fresh ingredients, and also those prepared canned and jar goods that make meal prep easier.
Fail Proof Mayo - Whole30 Recipe
*An emulsion is a mixture of two liquids that would ordinarily not mix together, like eggs and oil. By slowly whisking the oil into the eggs, you create an end product that is thicker than the two original liquids.
• 1-1/4 cup of light olive oil (not EVOO) or avocado oil, divided into 1/4c and 1c.
• 1 egg
• 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 to 1 lemon, juiced
• Place the egg, 1/4 cup of olive oil, mustard powder, and salt in a mixing bowl, blender, or food processor. Mix thoroughly.
• While the food processor or blender is running (or while mixing in a bowl with a stick blender), slowly drizzle in the remaining cup of olive oil.
• After you’ve added all the oil and the mixture has emulsified, add lemon juice to taste, stirring gently with a spoon to incorporate.
Enjoy your week!